Noob with 450RT

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

FTWelder

Noob with 450RT

Postby FTWelder » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:53 am

Greetings!
located in Vermont USA, a few weeks ago I purchased a 450RT Desmo that has been altered a bit. The PO cut some of the frame away to fit a huge square slide carb (supplied) but apparently went back to the original which is connected to the original air cleaner. The coil seems to be original but the wiring is a mess but still connected. A quick compression test went very well. I have a parts book and service manual and would like to hear it run.
My current thought is to fit a familiar (mikuni or OKO) carb and try to restore the electrical system well enough to get a spark and a short ride.
Am I on the right track? I would like to know the actual date of manufacture and can supply the numbers in my next post.
I have a spare frame/swing arm, engine cases and a few other pieces, you can see the shocks have been laid down and are probably smoked.

Thanks for your input.
Frank
Ducati450_71_R.jpg
Ducati450_71_L.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eldert

Re: Noob with 450RT

Postby Eldert » Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:34 am

Hi Frank

most RT's where build in 1971 . my RT has nr 454444 the the foil sticker on the headstock says 1 /71

the RT uses a AC ignition coil

Eldert

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:17 pm

Regarding the carby question: I tried several different brands and sizes on my 350.
I found the best was the original factory fitment - Dell'Orto VHB 29 AD, which is likely what you have on yours.

FTWelder

Postby FTWelder » Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:34 pm

Eldert wrote:Hi Frank

most RT's where build in 1971 . my RT has nr 454444 the the foil sticker on the headstock says 1 /71

the RT uses a AC ignition coil

Eldert

Eldert,
Unfortunately the sticker is long gone. Is there an engine number? Ill have more time to search in the coming months. I snapped a photo of the coil still installed in the frame, I have forgotten how to post in forums so Ill add that later.

Jordan wrote:Regarding the carby question: I tried several different brands and sizes on my 350.
I found the best was the original factory fitment - Dell'Orto VHB 29 AD, which is likely what you have on yours.

They seem to be pretty common and if they work well great!

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:04 am

Hi Frank

the engine number is in front of the barrel on the rh side .

the original ducati coils had a green and red labels . the green label coil is the AC coil .

Eldert

FTWelder

Postby FTWelder » Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:52 am

Eldert wrote:Hi Frank

the engine number is in front of the barrel on the rh side .

the original ducati coils had a green and red labels . the green label coil is the AC coil .

Eldert

Thank you for the help.
The coil has no tag or label any more and the PO removed the points cover and added an external wire from the points to a kill button. It looks like it ran after that because there is some crash damage where the points cover attached, it's a bit messy.
I received a nice MK3 Desmo book from a friend in Italy today and I can feel myself being drawn in. These bikes are gorgeous!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”